Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Staining Eastern White Cedar

Eastern white cedar is not compatible with just any stain. Many times friends have asked that I help them source wood for backyard projects. I always oblige and most of the time I even transport it for them if the timing is right. I always suggest that they use Sikkens Cetol 1 stain. The first thing they usually do is look into the price and then they buy something else. Of course the next year when I visit them the stain has usually come off their creation and they complain about the wood. The same is true of glue - eastern white cedar is not compatible with most wood glues. I use 100% polyurethane and have never had few problems.

I am not promoting Sikkens Cetol 1 over any other stain, that is not the point of this blog. What I am suggesting however is that people should do their homework when buying stain for any project that is made out of eastern white cedar. If I were ever to stray from Sikkens for another type of stain, I would want to actually speak to somebody who has used it on eastern white cedar and find out first-hand how it has faired over the years. If I could see it that would be even better.

Sikkens Cetol 1 is available in many colours. I personally only offer it in Dark Oak and Natural colours. The Dark Oak stain comes out looking a teakish colour when applied to eastern white cedar and the Natual comes out as a light honey / golden colour. With this wood you need to visit your local Sikkens dealer with a few scraps and see the colours for yourself - you cannot trust the colours on the web site.

Eastern white cedar is tremendously beautiful, especially in select grade. If you ever use it for a project just make sure to do your homework with respect to the products you use with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment